Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Make A Good Fashion!
These children have stolen our hearts and as each day passes the emotional anticipation builds that we will soon have to say "goodbye" instead of "see you tomorrow". This is going to be rough (and a lot harder than I expected). Today we were blessed with a little change of pace. After a cool morning and a successful day of collecting language samples, we all journeyed to Jordan's Rock on the outskirts of Namwianga. At Jordan's Rock we had a bonfire, watched the sunset, roasted hot dogs, and made s'mores.
Today was Kara and Caroline's last day at The Haven as they leave tomorrow (Kara back to the states, Caroline to Italy). They are amazing. We would have absolutely failed without them (Says Kara and Caroline hoping I wouldn't proofread before posting). We have have all been blessed with wonderful supervision and supervisors and gained so much from their knowledge and insight! Seriously, they are amazing and should receive ASHA awards (Again Kara and Caroline). After a day of a few successful (we think) language samples we now have a handful of language samples to bring back to the states. We are already beginning to learn that sometimes you need to change/adapt your research. Our beginning objective was to collect language samples of at least 100+ utterances in children three years of age. With a limited number of three year olds, our research has expanded to include up to ages 7 and 8.
Only three days remain @ The Haven... so bittersweet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Saying goodbye is the hardest! I'm excited to start the research and listen to these samples. Take care ya'll!
ReplyDeleteSo women can now point to science to uphold our right to change our minds.... It is hard to see patients go at the rehab center. I may have only seen them a handful of times, but I know that they have a journey ahead of them that will be difficult and may lack individual care such as they have been receiving.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great that you've been able to adapt the research to your surroundings. I think that'll make the conclusion even more interesting. How many participants did you end up having? Did each age division have close to the same number of individuals? Ready to see you all!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to analyzing the language samples when you all get back. I'm glad that you all were flexible and able to adapt your data collection to fit the group of kiddos. I also have been so blessed with wonderful supervision during off-site. We are so lucky!
ReplyDeleteWe don't get much time to get to know patients in acute care, but I have gotten to work with an amazing and entertaining group of therapists and it will be had to leave. I am so curious about the language samples as well....see you all soon !
ReplyDeleteGreat supervision makes all the difference in the world! I have been blessed with a wonderful supervisor and she has taught me so much in the short time that I have been at my off-site. Can't wait to look over the language samples when you all return.
ReplyDelete