To start off..I will answer Rebecca's question. To be honest, it is hard to give an accurate answer (although Jake says 56 English words +/- 2) as to how many English words they regularly speak. A lot of the English words we hear them saying are parts of songs they/we sing..or basic words and greetings. The Aunties speak to them in Tongan the majority of the time and when they talk in phrases, it is in Tongan. So it is hard to compare their use of English to those in the states. As far as comparing how much Tongan they speak to how much English kids in the states speak, that is also hard to judge. We don't see them in their natural environment as much as the aunties do. There are a few that we have not heard talk at all but the aunties and Meagan report that those kids do talk, and talk to them. Does this kind of answer your question?
The kids are becoming more and more comfortable with us...more and more of them are participating and interacting during language group more. We are all starting to become aware of how hard it will be to say goodbye to them. Sooo keep us but especially the kiddos in your prayers for this up coming week as it will be hard to part with them. Here are some more pictures of the cuties!!!!











Yes Staci that is what I was looking for. I know how hard it will be for you guys !!!! I would be so tempted with those sweeties. I think that is the one thing (if I had to pick one) that I don't like about the hospital setting
ReplyDelete. There is not time to develop true rapport or a "bond" with your client. I had one client for 45 minutes a day for 8 days, the rest were 10-15 min for 2-3 days.
No questions are coming to mind tonight ..so someone gets a break!! Enjoy every second you have left! Miss ya'll bunches!!
ALL GREAT PICTURES! I'm sure you've all grown very attached. It's obvious. I'm sure it's rewarding to hear them singing the english songs you've taught them. Random question... What types of baby food do the babies eat after being weaned from the bottle? How does it compare to what American babies eat? Just curious. :)
ReplyDeleteHey!! Babies are cute! I would've loved all those kids bunches. Again, ya'll are so lucky. Hopefully we'll get a little bilingual SLP education somewhere or other. What if we get a kid who's bilingual in the states? I would like/am excited to hear some techniques ya'll are using to get the elicited speech. What kind of questions do you use? Can't wait to analyze all that info and learn about language development in these kiddos. Take care!!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures continue to make me smile! It is wonderful to hear that the kiddos are participating and interacting more and more with every passing day! I know that is bitter sweet since yall have bonded with the children so well and will be leaving them soon. I know that you have left a mark on their hearts, just as they have done to you! I cannot wait to hear about all the wonderful and useful techniques that you all have learned since being over there. I will continue to keep everyone in my prayers!!
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are great! I'm happy to see that they are using a lot of language (whether Tongan or English) and are participating more in language group. I loved watching the "Jesus Loves Me" video of your language group on facebook. How precious! It is obvious that you all have learned so much and I am so excited for you all to teach us what you've learned when you get back. Continuing to pray for you all.
ReplyDeleteSo for the children that have produced enough English utterances, will their English utterances really convey their level of speech/language that they are capable in Tongan? What if you translated all of their utterances from the experiment sample from Tongan to English or at least translate some Tongan from every participant to see if their language developmental level in total correlates with the English participant statistics?
ReplyDelete