playlist

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Brother From Another Mother Discount

Classmates! I thought today I'd discuss with you about how we are going about recording data for our language and feeding groups. As already discussed, we are split into two groups that divide language and feeding between the mornings and afternoons. 

Each child at The Haven has their own individual "report" with their own background history, assessment data, and specified goal(s) and objective(s) (to be completed by the end of this week) along with an accompanied data log.

For feeding, we are each tracking the progress of developmental milestones and recording data for three specific children. At the end of each week, a re-assessment is conducted to see their progress. In addition to our weekly assessment of each of our specific children, we are required to record 10 additional data notes for each child we are responsible for. A the end of our time here in Zambia, we will develop a "summary" (with data attached) for each of our three children describing the progress made, developmental milestones attained, and recommendations. 

For language, two student clinicians are responsible for monitoring and tracking the progress for all children in a specific haven (For example, Rachel and I are assigned to Haven 3). At the end of each week, a weekly progress "data note" is required for each child in that specific haven. In addition to our weekly "data note" of each child, we are required to record 5 additional "data notes" for each child in our assigned haven. 

We are also assigned in pairs to track the progress of three specific children who need additional therapy (and love!). Therapy with these children is conducted more intensively and individually. I hope this gives you all a foundation of how we are going about our business here in Zambia! 

To answer Lindsay's question regarding communication at the market in Livingstone. Although, many of us did not have experience bartering back and forth with the vendors at the market, I would say it was easy for us to communicate with them. Many of the vendors have grown accustomed to having people from the Namwianga Mission come to the market. They would give us the "Namwianga discount", "sunday discount", and even the "brotha from anotha motha discount". 

Each day all of us here are attempting to take a step back from the "mad rush" of the busy days and take it all in. I pray and encourage you all to do the same! GO, FIGHT, WIN! 

Jake

7 comments:

  1. I know it has to have been an incredibly trying week for you all. Loss is hard enough to deal with, but somehow when it is a child it is even harder. Our prayers and thoughts are with you all. Just continue to focus on all of the good you are doing there and the long-term impact your work will have on these precious little souls.

    The market experience sounds like a treat!! So Jake ? Did the ladies get the “sister from another mister” discount as well ??? Sorry…just had to ask!

    Thank you all for the photos you are posting. I can’t wait to get home in the evenings to see what has happened during the day with your kiddos. Courtney, I know exactly how you felt seeing Christopher’s first steps. Thank you all for the photos you are sharing. I have realized, I would have tried to smuggle a few of those sweethearts home, had I gone on this trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're collecting quality data for our research project.... It's greatly appreciated! Do they keep the children's charts updated throughout the time they're at the Haven or did y'all develop them? Do each of you individually come up with the goals/objectives for the children? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, your paperwork sounds a lot more intense than what I've been doing here at the hospital. We will have a lot to analyze for our research project when you all get home! Like Shelbey, I'm curious to know if the child's chart stays with them throughout their entire stay at the Haven and what type of recommendations you'll make for the aunties. Please keep posting pictures, we miss you all! And like Rebecca said, I cannot imagine how tempting it must be to want to smuggle those cute babies home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, thanks for all the hard work you're all doing with therapy and collecting data. I'm so excited to learn more about and analyze the progress of these kiddos when ya'll get back. What kind of goals are created for them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lindsay, sounds like your paperwork is much more time consuming than what I am doing at the rehab hospital. We normally have less than five minutes to write our patient notes, so I am quickly learning how to "trim the fat" on them. The pictures you post are wonderful and very much enjoyed! I miss you all and can't wait to see you all next month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are doing a lot of paperwork. Most of my paperwork is as follows: "Pt. seen for above; achieved STM @ MINA, Checking @ MODA, Organization @ MINA. Erin Walker, BA 1430." I usually have between 6 and 9 patients a day. We track their progress by their FIM scores on daily therapy activities across the week and update their charts with current scores for staffings once a week for each doctor. Average FIMS for each client and their disabilities are charted across the US. It sounds like you are probably using the language evals that we learned in Weaver's class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it does sound like you are doing more paperwork than us, but I'm glad because that means the data for our project will be more accurate (hopefully :-D)! My paperwork consists of a one or two line S section, a combined O/A section, and a P section. I'm proud to say my notes have become WAY less wordy :-). Evals are scheduled for 1 hour, which is enough time for a short intake interview and 1..that is ONE dx test. No hearing screenings, oral-facials...usually just one language test. As far as writing up a report...my supervisor prefers to use family-friendly easy to read types of reports that an adult who hasn't gone to college can read. I realize now that how you write really depends on WHO you are writing for!

    ReplyDelete