playlist

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Courtney says Hello :)

Well to start out.. Rebecca asked what materials we use and what activities and games the kids like best. We use a lot of materials from the language kits that we made and there are some old language kits that were left here from previous classes. We sing a LOT of songs, especially ones that get the kids to interact and join in with motions. We have been trying to come up with some activities and games that require little to no materials. So.. If you all have some ideas let us know!
We have played red light, green light with them, simon says, matching games, and mainly action songs that require the kids to take turns, do hand motions, say certain things, etc.

Today we did the bulk of our paper work. We have reports on each child that we update. They contain their language, social, and motor milestones. We go through each haven, child by child and update their progress as well as record any notable observations. Goals and objectives were assigned today. We keep data daily individually and collaborate together throughout the week to compile the information needed for each child's report.

I hope all of your offsite experiences are going great! Miss you all and excited to see you all in July!!

PS...Courtney says Hello!!!!!









8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that those language kits are useful!!
    Working at the hospital there are very few materials and few few notes. I suppose most hospitals have developed their own electronic versions of eval sheets, progress notes, and charge sheets.It has been a fantastic experience so far and I have learned so much.

    Tell us about same of the cultural differences that you have encountered.

    The time is flying by and I will hate to see it end! I know you guys will be in the same boat! See you all very soon ...and take more pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the kids are having a great time during therapy and learning A LOT in the process. The value of quality time with them is something they'll take with them a long time. I'm sure none of you are getting attached, either. It sounds like you're completing informal 'staffings' while over in Zambia when collaborating with each other to determine a child's overall status. Good for y'all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have ya'll had any lightbulb moments from while interacting with the kids? :-) I'd like to hear about some of them. I get those every now and then at the rehab, connecting something I've learned or had a realization of some sort :). I had my first global aphasic client, highly Wernicke-like aphasia is present. Let me tell you it is frustrating and sad to see that not much can be done at the time with him..we're trying lots of things, and my supervisor says it's best to focus on foundational skills, like interaction and sustaining attention. He had a severe frontal lobe stroke so his behavior has been negative and he is now in the geriatric psych unit. However, his behavior has improved since being there and he is attending much more than he did when he first came in. It truly is like the videos you see in class except it's real life. If any of ya'll have ideas on what to do with him, I'd love to hear them!! Btw someone tell Ms.Shock I said hello! I miss her.

    Love,
    Samar

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I hope Reagan arrived safe and everyone is okay. That'll be another awesome addition to the team of SLP's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I miss you all! I would also like to know some of the cultural differences you've encountered and how that has affected your therapy and interactions overall. My experience at off-site has been similar to Rebecca's in that we don't really spend a lot of time seeing the same patients, which has its pros and cons. I envy your experience with getting to be a part of these babies' lives and witnessing their milestones, but I must admit I do not envy you all when you have to leave them and return home. I am so proud of you all! Keep up the great work!

    Oh by the way... Courtney, your pics are, "totes fab." :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney, you are such a nut! That's why I love you! Well, I have been fortunate enough to work with most of the same patients everyday. There are a couple that I have been working with everyday since they were admitted into the hospital and I love it! It has been a wonderful experinece to see continual progress with these individuals and it makes me light up inside!! It is an amazing feeling of accomplishment when you witness the difference that you make in that person's life and I know you all feel the same way about those precious babies. I am finding it difficult not to get attached! Missing you all very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Games without materials...It must be hard to keep them occupied sometimes. If you are doing a small group language session with kindergarten age, you could have them throw a ball to each other and say one of the words that they learned that day. It is hard for me to track my client's progress sometimes because it is hit or miss depending on the difficulty of the activity for them, which determines their score for the day. By that, I mean that sometimes progress seems artificial. Other times, my patients grow leaps every day. Is early development like that as well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bahahahahahha I LOVE the kaleidoscope ones!!! They're are creepy and therefore, hilarious. I have had the benefit of a well-stocked pediatric clinic..filled with Super Duper this and that... I seriously think they make something for every sort of disorder. It has been a really different experience--I cracked down a couple of days and perused through the materials room to make a mental inventory of stuff I could use during therapy. I have also had several experiences where what I planned is NOT what happened, so I think I'm fairly adaptable now. *yay* I'm glad you guys are learning how to do therapy with little help, I think that is tremendously valuable for adaptability as a clinician. Just today one of our little guys was having a really rough day, so instead of doing boring worksheets he had to verbally direct me on how to build different Angry Birds set ups. I got to play dumb, and we both got to laugh, and he demonstrated an increase in the ability to see things from my point of view (and include specifics in his directions) by the second trial!

    ReplyDelete